The DAF Field Crops Entomology team undertake a wide range of field and laboratory research and extension activities in both grains and cotton. Focal areas include:
- Determining damage potential of pest species
- Developing economic thresholds
- Evaluating efficacy of sampling and management methods
- Evaluating efficacy and IPM fit of insecticides
- Screening for insecticide resistance (current focus: silverleaf whitefly in cotton)
- Analysing impact of beneficials on pest species
- Evaluating impact on beneficials of pest management methods
- Pest management advice to growers and agronomists
- Extension via workshops, field-days, industry updates and multimedia.
The team gratefully acknowledges funding and support from GRDC and CRDC towards its research and extension projects, and the generous cooperation of growers and agronomists.