The DAF Field Crops Entomology team undertake a wide range of field and laboratory research and extension activities in both grains and cotton. Focal areas include:
- Determining damage potential of pest species
- Developing economic thresholds
- Evaluating efficacy of sampling and management methods
- Evaluating efficacy and IPM fit of insecticides
- Screening for insecticide resistance (current focus: silverleaf whitefly in cotton)
- Analysing impact of beneficials on pest species
- Evaluating impact on beneficials of pest management methods
- Pest management advice to growers and agronomists
- Extension via workshops, field-days, industry updates and multimedia.
The team gratefully acknowledges funding and support from GRDC and CRDC towards its research and extension projects, and the generous cooperation of growers and agronomists.
The DAF Grains Pathology team undertake a wide range of field and laboratory research and extension activities. Focal areas include:
- Diagnosis of fungal, bacterial and viral disease samples submitted by growers and agronomists
- Surveillance of grain crops across Queensland and New South Wales for the incidence and severity of endemic and exotic pathogens each season
- Disease management advice to growers and agronomists
- Extension activities via workshops, field-days, and industry updates