Links to websites, fact sheets and other information of interest. Click on an image or link to open the relevant website.
The Beatsheet’s added features
The Beatsheet now has a YouTube channel. Visit us, watch our videos, and add your comments.
Now available here at the Beatsheet blog, threshold calculators for Helicoverpa in chickpeas and sorghum, sorghum midge, and podsucking bugs in pulses. The calculators can be used on-line, and if you have the latest browser versions of Internet Explorer (9+), Chrome, Firefox or Safari, you can also download the calculators for off-line use.
See also additional resources (factsheets, nymph identification images, and other publications) on our resources page.
PestFacts is a FREE electronic newsletter service, designed to keep broadacre growers and advisers informed about invertebrate pest-related issues and solutions as they emerge during the growing season. Two separate editions are available: South Australia + western Victoria, and south-eastern Australia (click on the relevant image to access their websites).
IPM Workshops, funded by GRDC, are being run across the northern and southern grains region from 2013-2015. The workshops are designed to address the key issues relevant to each workshop location. The workshops are a mix of classroom discussion and information sharing, and a field walk to demonstrate different monitoring techniques and identify insect pests and beneficial species. Where possible, live insects will be provided for a hands-on identification session. Visit the IPM guidelines website to access a host of resources, including workshop materials.
State departments, research organisations, and related websites
These websites contain a variety of insect identification and management information.
- Managing insect pests in field crops – IPM website (hosted by Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries). Insect pest management information provided here is relevant to grain and cotton production in the northern grains region of Queensland and northern New South Wales.
- Grains Research & Development Corporation (GRDC) invests in research and development and links innovative research with industry needs. The IPM website and the Beat Sheet Blog are supported by GRDC funding.
- Cotton Research & Development Corporation (CRDC) invests in research and development in the cotton industry. The IPM website and the Beat Sheet Blog are supported by CRDC funding.
- South Australian Research and Development Institute
- Department of Primary Industries, Victoria
- cesar Australia
- NSW Primary Industries
A variety of entomology and pest management apps are currently available for both Apple and Android. These are constantly being updated, and new apps added.
The GRDC has supported the development of several apps, including Insect ID: The Ute Guide. For more information, and links to the Android and iTunes versions, visit the GRDC website.
Suppliers of equipment for sampling, such as hand lenses, microscopes, beat sheets, sweep nets and more…
- Australian Entomological Supplies Pty Ltd
- Dino-Lite digital microscopes
- Good bugs (Australasian Biological Control)
- Bugs for bugs
Other information sources
- What bug is that? — a guide to Australian insect families (CSIRO)
- Entomology Australia (University of Queensland)
- Ispray – farm chemical application factsheets, calculators and other tools (Bill Gordon Consulting)
GRDC provides links to a wide range of publications and other tools, including mobile apps. GRDC’s GrowNotes are a comprehensive collection of crop information in an easy-to use online flip-book format, and factsheet and back pocket guides are also available. For more information, visit the resources section of the GRDC website.